Label Academy Master Class: Flexible Packaging
THURSDAY 26 SEPTEMBER
ROOM 1102, HALL 11
PRICE: €695 (INCLUDING VAT)
Gain the necessary knowledge and expert guidance that label, and other, converters looking to enter or expand their production into flexible packaging are likely to require – substrates, design and origination, press printing and converting. Learn how ink components interact with drying and curing technologies, and with packaging line demands. Current legislation, including ink migration, will also be addressed.
THU 26 SEPTEMBER
09:00Flexible packaging – an introduction
- What is flexible packaging and how big is the market?
- The main types of flexible packaging
- Benefits and advantages of flexible packaging
09:25Paper and board, metallic foil, films and multi-layer constructions
- Performance demands on flexible packaging materials
- Commonly used substrates, their properties and applications
- Laminates, barrier properties and heat sealing
09:55Creation of artwork and pre-press
- Selection of required pack shape/image from a shape store
- Adding physical dimensions and incorporating text, graphics, and 3D structure
- Artwork, step-and-repeat, color management and proofing
10:25Printing processes and techniques
- Considerations of web widths, tension and edge control
- Web treatment: cleaning, heat management, chill rolls and inspection
- Quality control, compliance and testing
11:05Flexible packaging and the label printer
- What are the implications?
- Developing the right ecosystem
- The potential of digital
11:35Inks, coatings, curing and laminating
- Inks and ink requirements
- Performance and usage – food contact, migration, deep freeze, etc.
- Laminating inks, and barrier, coatings
12:05Converting flexible packaging
- Slitting and slitting requirements
- In-line lamination – solventless, wax, wet and dry
- Understanding coefficient of friction/slip
12:35From labels to flexibles – a converter perspective
- What does a label converter need to understand?
- What are the potential pitfalls?
- Challenges of managing a multi-stream business
Thank you to the Label Academy sponsors: