Label Academy master class: sustainable labels and packaging
Gain the necessary technical knowledge and expert guidance that label – and other – converters looking to improve their sustainability credentials need to become more efficient with their resources. Learn how to contribute to a circular economy and meet current EU regulations.
Different aspects of the label production process are examined. Discover how to make sustainable choices with inks and coatings, understand liner waste disposal challenges and solutions, and learn how to use blockchain for recording and reporting sustainability criteria for your business.
This five-hour hour master class will be presented by leading sustainability experts. It is organized by the Label Academy, the global training program for the label and package printing industry.
Location: Room 1101A/B
WED 13 SEPTEMBER
09:45 Welcome address
09:50 - 10:15 Challenges and opportunities: a converter perspective
- Approaches to label and plastic collection and recycling
- Leaner and greener energy usage
- Sustainable labeling: what the converter needs to know
10:15 - 10:40 Developing sustainability standards
- Packaging and Packaging Waste Regulations (PPWR)
- Other EU regulations
- Design for Recycling guidelines
10:40 - 11:05 Using blockchain for recording and reporting sustainability benefits
- Planning and implementing a sustainability program
- What should converters be measuring and recording?
- Reporting to brands
11:05 - 11:30 Understanding sustainability in flexible packaging
- Benefits over rigid packaging
- Alternative materials and innovations
- Supporting the circular economy
11:50 - 12:15 PS labels and the circular economy
- Role of labels in circular packaging
- Washable adhesives: technology and benefits
12:15 - 12:40 Sustainable inks and coatings
- How do inks impact container recycling and reuse?
- The challenge of shrink sleeve and PS label inks
- Carbon footprint impact of UV and UV-LED curing
12:40 - 13:05 Options for matrix and liner waste
- Benefits of a waste extraction system
- Capturing, collection and transport
- Saying no to landfill: recycling programs for release liner
13:05 - 13:30 Enabling liner material circularity: the opportunity
- How big is the used liner material opportunity?
- CELAB collection and recycling pathways
- Exploring geographic and logistics solutions
13:30 - 13:55 The Holy Grail of closing the loop
- Digitalisation of packaging for recycling
- Benefits of digital watermarks to the packaging value chain
- Update on the status of the project